February 13, 2014

Chocolate Covered Strawberry Spice Cheese Danish Bars

There is a wonderful blog network I'm a part of called The Foodie Blogroll and they've just started a new contest called 1,2,3 Cook and Snap! I decided I would throw my hat in the ring with this recipe using the 3 ingredients of the month of February. Strawberry, chocolate and cinnamon! Isn't that just perfect for Valentine's day? I think this would be an amazing way to start the day with your sweetheart.

If you've made my Easy Cheese Danish in the past, you'll see this is the basic core recipe with some simple changes. I reduced the sugar in the cream cheese mixture by half, since the strawberry preserves are sweet enough that you don't need as much. I added a generous teaspoon of cinnamon to the cheese mixture, mostly as a nod to the contest... but I found I really loved the warmth the cinnamon added to the dish. It paired well with the strawberries and chocolate and made it something kind of special. I've also omitted the the powdered sugar glaze and replaced it with a thick layer of semi sweet chocolate.

I will definitely be making this one again and I hope you'll try it too!


Chocolate Covered Strawberry Spice Cheese Danish Bars
Ingredients:
2 cans ready to use refrigerated crescent rolls
2 8-ounce packages cream cheese
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 heaping teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 egg
8 ounces good quality strawberry preserves
1 egg white, beaten
10 ounces semi-sweet mini chocolate chips



Method:
1: Preheat oven to 350* degrees and grease a 13X9-inch baking pan. 

2: Lay a pack of crescent rolls in the pan and pinch the openings together. 

3: Beat the cream cheese, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and egg together until smooth.

4: Spread the cream cheese mixture over the crescent rolls evenly.

5: Place small dollops of strawberry preserves all over the cream cheese layer.  Making sure you space evenly leaving some space between the dollops.

6: Lay the second pack of crescent rolls on top of the cheese and strawberry preserve mixture.

7: Brush the surface of the unbaked danish with beaten egg white. 

8: Bake for 35-45 minutes until the top is golden brown.

9: Once danish is removed from the oven, spread mini chips over the surface while still hot.

10: Allow chips to melt and then spread evenly over the surface while still warm.

11: Allow chocolate topping to set before cutting into serving pieces.

Makes 10-12 servings

1 comment:

  1. Never tried before danish bars, but these looks tasty!

    ReplyDelete

Hello and thank you for visiting my kitchen blog. I'm always interested in hearing your ideas, suggestions, and thoughts so please feel free to speak your mind. I try my best to personally respond to all comments, so if you have a question, check back here or enable the "Subscribe by email" option when you leave your comment.